Monday, April 7, 2008

Thing 22 Cell Phone

After looking at some of the links on using cell phone at school, I was very impressed. I didn't even know all thse things existed. I also am quite aware that the students use and understanding of cell phone use far exceeds my own. I think for some students using the cell phone to create and display information might really help, and it could be a wonderful tool for students who have learning disabilities. However, we get back to the fact that they are not allowed in school, and they are difficult to monitor. How can we know how they are being used? It would create much more work for the teacher to monitor the use and abuse of cell phone use in the classroom. I think a lot of what was presented would work better in the upper grade levels. Or, the student would have to show the teacher what they worked on before leaving class, again more monitoring.

I liked the questions; What technology do you use outside of school that would be good for the classroom? Why? How would that work? I am going to ask a teacher to pose those questions and see what responses they get.

Our school is 1/2 free and reduced lunch, most of them do not have computers at home, but most have cell phones. I think this again would be a dividing point between those who have access, and those who do not.

I do think that students love technology, and they are adept at learning how to use it. They might find school a lot more interesting if technology was a bigger part of the process.

2 comments:

jenn said...

It seems to always come down to cost doesn't it? Getting everyone on the same page with the same equipment would be quite a challenge.

Lu said...

I agree with you on the fact that most of the students have a cell phone. That is why I think using the cell phone would be successful for tests and class room work.